Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ups, Downs, and a Slightly Lighter Wallet

I've come to a realization today. I hate driving in Dallas. It is such a pain in the butt...seriously. I drove to the church my brother suggested for me this morning. I absolutely loved the church(except for one thing the pastor said that i'll get to in a minute), but the drive was horrific.
First of all...the only good road to take to get to the church is a tollway, and will cost me $4.00 for a round trip. Second I saw at least 15 speed traps in the 25 min trip up there. Also...the roads in Dallas, especially those near the highways, are retarded...they do all these crazy loops and turns but don't tell you what direction to go...it's frustrating.

UGH

Anyway...the church was amazing. They started out with a great worship session, then had a very entertaining and well done sermon. Though the pastor did say something, inadvertently, that upset me. Well the church is very overcrowded, and they are raising money to build a new building or something, so the pastor mentioned this fundraiser at the beginning of the sermon. He was trying to illustrate how much he hate to turn away the people who come there not sure about Christ or the church...which I understand. But he chose to illustrate this by saying, "now those who have been in the church their whole lives and know Christ, and are looking for a new church home, them I don't mind turning away. But those who aren't sure what they think about Christ of the church, that just can't happen." Considering I perfectly fit his description of those he "doesn't mind turning away"...I felt kinda unwanted...and it honestly ruined the entire sermon for me. I know he didn't mean it that way...but I'm still kind of upset about it.

Tonight I had freshman convocation...which was a boring waste of my time to be honest. Though I did get free food, and a cool UTD Tee Shirt...it was not worth it...

and that will conclude this installment of my adventures as a disaffected college student.

2 comments:

Joel Burdeaux said...

yeah... I shoulda warned you about that... Chandler has a wicked sense if humor and he will try to run you out... The reason, of course, is that they have like 80 services and no seats, so he only wants those God calls there to be there.

He'll say something similar in a week or two.

Plug in. Make it your home. Then you won't be who he's talking about.

Supermom said...

Ditto what Joel said. He always says comments about not wanting you there if you already have a good church home & you are starting to come to his church because its the cool place to go...jumping on the bandwagon sort of thing. And yes, he will say it again... But, he also says if you plan on staying there, you better join forces with a ministry there. So, find what you would like to be involved with.